Sunday, January 7, 2007

A Word on Book Reviews


In her book,Management Skills for Everyday Life: The Practical Coach (2nd Edition)Paula Caproni identifies five skills that are hallmarks of effective managers today:

  • invest in lifelong learning and critical thinking
  • Develop self-awareness
  • Create a broad and diverse network of high-quality relationships
  • Design a workplace that brings out the best in individuals and teams
  • Craft a meaningful personal and professional life

I couldn't agree more with Ms. Caproni's assessment that these are critical skills for success. She talks about them in terms of effective managers but I think it can be expanded to a life lesson for everyone. I like the list because it is short and sweet and something that you are likely to remember.

Reading books is all about developing that first skill of lifelong learning. Ms. Caproni was not the first (or last) to recognize this as an important skill. Anyone into investing knows that this is a point frequently made by Warren Buffett and his long term partner Charles Munger. If you don't know about Mr. Munger, you are missing out of big part of understanding Mr. Buffett's success. Charlie Munger has a lot to say on a lot of things and usually a very good way of saying it. He agrees with Ms. Caproni about lifelong learning but says it like this:

“Acquire worldly wisdom and adjust your behavior accordingly. If your new behavior gives you a temporary unpopularity with your peer group . . . then to hell with them.”

If you keep reading my blog you are likely to read more about Buffett and Munger. They have had a strong influence on my life. In fact, you may have noticed that Mr. Munger's book Poor Charlie's Almanack Expanded Second Edition. The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Mungeris on my recommended reading list. I will be writing a book review for this book as well as each one that is one my list. I will also be adding more books. I have kept the list to a few that have had the strongest influence on my life for now in the hopes that one of the titles might peak your interest . My reviews will explain what I learned from these books.

I held off writing book reviews because I wanted to figure out a way to link the book to a place where you could purchase it. I finally figured out that I could do this with the Amazon affiliate program. Call me slow, but what do you expect from someone that was a little early for the "internet generation." Anyway, I now have these links in place. In the interest of full disclosure, I feel compelled to tell you that I might make some money if you use these links to buy a book. I say might because I haven't made any yet so I don't really know how it works. I say some because, at a 4% commission rate, I am unlikely to quit my day job due to the income from these links. Ok, so I don't really have a day job but you get my point! I tell you this because if you want to support me that is great. If you have issues with the link then just don't click it. Go directly to Amazon or favorite bookstore to buy it. Or, if you really are looking to save money, check out the book at your local library. This is the sensible thing to do, but I must confess that spending money on books is one of my splurges. I don't buy Starbucks, but I do buy books! Books are one of the joys of my life and I hope I can turn you on to some good ones. Stay tuned!


P.S. I am available to review books. If you are a publisher or author and want me to review your book please contact me at moneyempowerment@yahoo.com

No comments: